18th Annual Short Story Contest
September 1 – October 31, 2018
Multiple entries welcomed. All must be family friendly, original and previously unpublished. Published means appearing in any newspaper, magazine, or book, whether or not the author received compensation. Self-published and e-published works are prohibited. Entrants may receive only one cash prize. First place winners from the last three years are not eligible.
Format & Presentation
Word Limit: 2,500 words (approximately ten double-spaced pages) or fewer.
- Save the document as a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
- Page size: 8.5 inches x 11 inches. Margins: 1 inch, top, bottom, and sides.
- Font style and size: Times New Roman or Courier, 12 point.
- Title and number each page at the top right corner.
- Double space. Indent the first line of each paragraph.
- No illustrations or photographs.
- To ensure anonymous judging, do not put the author’s name anywhere within the manuscript. The author’s name, contact information, and a brief bio are required as part of Submittable’s registration. This information is accessible only to the contest administrator. Finalists will be asked to provide a publicity head shot.
- IMPORTANT: The most frequent reason for disqualification is a name appearing on the actual manuscript.
- Please tell us how you learned of our contest.
- On-line entries only through user-friendly submittable.com.
- Enter September 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018, midnight PST. We strongly encourage uploading your story before Friday, October 26, at 6:00 p.m. to take advantage of Submittable email support.
- Fees per story: Adult VCWC members, $18 U.S.; Adult non-members, $30 U.S.; and high school students, $12. PayPal, credit or debit cards are accepted.
Please note that by entering our contest, you grant the Ventura County Writers Club one-time, nonexclusive publication rights to your winning entry to be published in our biannual anthology and in our newsletter The Write Stuff, as well as temporary hosting or linking on VCWC’s website, www.venturacountywriters.com,
- Audience appropriateness, plot, character development, intent/focus, reader interest, style/voice, grammar/ punctuation, presentation, and title.
- All decisions are final. No submissions will be returned.
- Entries not conforming to contest rules will not be judged.
First – $500
Second – $250
Third – $125
First – $100
Second – $75
Third – $50
Winners will be notified in early January 2019. Award Ceremony will be held on January 15, 2019.
Winning stories will be published in the upcoming VCWC Anthology.