It’s time for writers, members and non-members alike, to share their poems.
January 1 to February 28 until 11:59 p.m. PST
Contest is open to poets worldwide.
VCWC membership is not required.
Please read all the rules.
2017 winners of first place, in any category, are ineligible to enter the 2018 contest.
All poetry forms and styles are accepted. Poems must be original and unpublished in any media whether the author received compensation or not, which excludes any poem that has been published in the VCWC newsletter, The WriteStuff. Multiple entries are accepted.
Entrants may only receive one cash prize. No entries or payment will be returned.
Format & Presentation
- Poems must be in English.
- Maximum length: 31 lines including title on one page.
- All poems must be titled for clarity.
- Submissions must be in .doc, .docx, or PDF format.
- One poem per page.
- All entries must be received by Submittable by 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time (PST) on February 28, 2018.
- Author’s name, contact info, and brief bio (75 words or fewer) should be provided through the online submission process.
- If your name is on the poem your entry will be disqualified.
To be published by VCWC (online or print), winners must sign an affirmation that their work at time of entry was original/unpublished. After publication, all rights revert to the author.
Category 1 – Adult over 18: $8 per poem for VCWC members, $10 per poem for non-members.
Category 2 – Youth 17 and below: $4.00 per poem
- Write a third-person bio, no longer than 75 words, in a separate document.
- Collect all your poems to be submitted as separate documents. We are using Submittables only for submitting poems for this contest.
- Have your credit card, debit card, or PayPal info ready, as well as your bio and poems, and use the submit You will be sent to the Submittable website.
- You will need to create a login and choose a password for the Submittable website, if you do not have one already, as well as provide contact information.
- Submittable will guide you through your submission, starting with category choice. Your progress will be saved. You may log in later and resume your entry.
I HAVE QUESTIONS!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact our Poetry Chair. Please allow three days for response. The last two days before the due date the Poetry Chair will be around to help you until 6:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.
If you have any difficulties with the Submittable website, you may call their support staff at 855-467-8264 on weekdays from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST. Outside of those hours, email them email@example.com and they will reply within eight hours.
VCWC strongly suggests that you do not wait until the last day to submit or request information. If you have questions you can also Contact Rhonda at 805-383-2337 after 6 p.m. or leave a message.